Related Help Pages:
Transferring Your List
List of Temporary Caretakers
Administrator Help Pages
HelpDesk: Index of Help Pages
Still Need Help?
If you cannot find an answer,
contact the HelpDesk.
Mailing List Administrators:
Temporary or Short-term Help in Managing Your List
The following volunteers have offered
to help if you need a temporary manager for your list. This service is
intended for short-term situations only, e.g., illness, death in the family,
vacation, problems with your computer or Internet service provider, a
two-week visit from you mother-in-law, etc.
If you choose someone from this list or make personal arrangements
for a caretaker, follow these steps to make the change:
- Use the "Change List Admin Address or Password" section
of the List Tools to change the administrator's address to the substitute's
- Do NOT check "yes" when asked if the change is permanent.
- Confirm in writing that this is a temporary change and that you
are NOT permanently turning the list over to the listed person.
- Give the substitute an approximate idea of how long you will need
his or her help; keep this person informed if the timeframe changes.
- Provide any special instructions the substitute may need to know,
such as rules for your list, current or potential subscriber conflicts,
If it is an emergency and you do not have time to select someone,
follow the instructions shown below. A staff member or a member of the
RootsWeb HelpDesk team will manage your list during the emergency. Please
do not use this method unless it is an emergency and you do not have
time to arrange for a volunteer to care for your list.
- Please post a message at http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/help.cgi
that clearly states that you need an emergency caretaker for your
- Provide your name, an e-mail address where you can be reached, and
the list name(s).
- Describe the emergency and the approximate time you will be gone.
This will be confidential, seen only by the HelpDesk team.
- Describe any special instructions the substitute may need to know,
such as rules for your list, current subscriber conflicts, etc.
If you would like to volunteer as a temporary caretaker, please
contact the HelpDesk
and provide the following information:
- Your name and e-mail address.
- The number of lists you manage, and the approximate size of the
- The length of time you have been a mailing list administrator.
- Your level of strictness on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being very
lax and 10 being very strict.
Listing of Temporary Caretakers