CREATING GEDCOM FILES
USING ROOTS MAGIC
Terms and Definitions
GEDCOM is an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunications. Within the WorldConnect Project, "GEDCOM" indicates an individual family tree or file. A more detailed explanation of what a GEDCOM is, and how it is used within the WorldConnect Project, is available here.
More Terms and Definitions
Submitting Your Family Tree
Standard Submission Form
Creating A GEDCOM file
These are the instructions for RootsMagic (all versions). Remember, this process will create a new file; it will not erase or replace your current file.
- Open the file you wish to convert.
- Choose Export GEDCOM File from the File menu.
- Choose whether you want to export everyone in the database or only selected people. To choose only selected people, you can mark or unmark any individual or segment of the file. You can also use the Edit Individual button, but we encourage you to use the WorldConnect Project's tools to edit your new file (leaving your old file intact).
- Choose the destination of the GEDCOM file. (You will want to choose General from the options.)
- Mark which of the following options you want to export: notes, sources, addresses, correspondence log, to-do items, multimedia links, or LDS data.
- Leave the Privatize Living People box unchecked (World Connect will handle this).
- Click the Export button. The File Save dialog will appear.
- Indicate the path (where you want the file to be exported) and choose a file name for the new GEDCOM file. The .GED file extension will be added automatically.
- Click Save or OK. Your file is done and ready to export to World Connect!
WorldConnect SetUp/Edit Form | WorldConnect FAQS
WorldConnect Main Page | HelpDesk Main Page
Check the side panel for related links.
Still need help? Contact our HelpDesk.