CREATING GEDCOM FILES
Terms and Definitions
GEDCOM is an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunications. Within the WorldConnect Project, "GEDCOM" indicates an individual family tree or file. A more detailed explanation of what a GEDCOM is, and how it is used within the WorldConnect Project, is available here.
More Terms and Definitions
Submitting Your Family Tree
Standard Submission Form
Creating A GEDCOM file
The following instructions are for Reunion, versions 5 or 6. Remember, this process will create a new file; it will not erase or replace your current file.
- Click on Import/Export from the File menu.
- Click on Export GEDCOM from submenu.
- Check the appropriate options under General, exporting all people or just marked ones, privacy filtering (if available), include/exclude sources, or use the WorldConnect Project.
- For Destination, Gedcom 5.5 works well with WorldConnect, as do 72 or 80 for Line Length
- For GEDCOM Character Set, please choose MS-DOS to ensure that special characters (for example, place names and surnames containing umlauts) are processed correctly.
- If you are planning to allow others to download your GEDCOM from WorldConnect and you would rather not include your full address or phone number, you should double check your information under Submitter.
- If there are any fields under Optional Fields that you would rather not export, please uncheck them. Or, you can use the WorldConnect Project to do this.
- Click the Export button -- when your completed file is ready to be submitted to the WorldConnect Project.
WorldConnect SetUp/Edit Form | WorldConnect FAQS
WorldConnect Main Page | HelpDesk Main Page
Check the side panel for related links.
Still need help? Contact our HelpDesk.