CREATING GEDCOM FILES
USING LEGACY FAMILY TREE
Terms and Definitions
GEDCOM is an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunications. Within the WorldConnect Project, "GEDCOM" indicates an individual family tree or file. A more detailed explanation of what a GEDCOM is, and how it is used within the WorldConnect Project, is available here.
More Terms and Definitions
Submitting Your Family Tree
Standard Submission Form
Creating A GEDCOM file
The following instructions are for Legacy Family Tree, version 2.0. Remember, this process will create a new file; it will not erase or replace your current file.
- From either the Family View or the Pedigree View, click on File.
- Scroll down to Export, and then click on GEDCOM file (or hit Ctrl + E).
- In the GEDCOM window, use the defaults:
- Type of file to produce: Legacy (GEDCOM 5.5)
- Character set: ANSI
- Select which records to include, based on the areas shown below: (However, we encourage you to allow the WorldConnect Project to clean or remove notes, sources, and names of the living.)
- EXPORT [[Private]] notes, if checked, will export any notes you have marked as private, including ones you may not wish to be seen/known by everyone.
- SUPPRESS details of living will suppress all information of living persons including birth and marriage locations.
- CHANGE NAME TO LIVING will change the name of living individuals to "Living."
- Click on the COMPILER button, and supply the information requested. Then click OK.
- Click on CUSTOMIZE. Click on ONLY 5.5, as this will give your file only the tags that are in GEDCOM 5.5 standards. It will not include photos, videos, sound clips, etc. There will also be options to exclude notes (sources, medical information, addresses, etc.) if you wish, or you can use the WorldConnect Project to do this.
- Optional: If you plan to make frequent uploads to WorldConnect, you will want to click on SAVE LIST, name the list, and save it to your hard drive. When you revise a GEDCOM, select LOAD LIST. This will load the customized information you previously selected.
- Click on OK after making your selections under CUSTOMIZE. You will return to the GEDCOM screen.
- Name your GEDCOM file, select the folder you want it to be saved in, and click on OK. Remember where you stored the GEDCOM file - the default, if you have not changed it, is in the Legacy DATA subdirectory.
- The program will begin exporting the individuals. You will be notified when the export is complete. Your file is then ready to be submitted to the WorldConnect Project.
WorldConnect SetUp/Edit Form | WorldConnect FAQS
WorldConnect Main Page | HelpDesk Main Page
Check the side panel for related links.
Still need help? Contact our HelpDesk.