CREATING GEDCOM FILES
USING FAMILY TREE MAKER
Terms and Definitions
GEDCOM is an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunications. Within the WorldConnect Project, "GEDCOM" indicates an individual family tree or file. A more detailed explanation of what a GEDCOM is, and how it is used within the WorldConnect Project, is available here.
More Terms and Definitions
Submitting Your Family Tree
Standard Submission Form
Creating A GEDCOM file
These are the instructions for Family Tree Maker, version 7.0. If you have a later version, your process may vary, so please check your reference manual or the Help files of your program. Remember, this process will create a new file; it will not erase or replace your current FTW file.
(Caution: Fact fields are not notes and will not be cleaned by the WorldConnect clean living option. If you are using Family Tree Maker, version 5.0 or newer, please read the notes shown below on exporting specific fields.)
- Click on the File option.
- Select Copy/Export File from the File menu.
- Highlight the file you want to convert, and in the area labeled save as type,select GEDCOM.
- Click on Save. You will need to remember where you are saving this file when adding your file to the WorldConnect Project, so make a note of the file name and the location/path of your GEDCOM.
- In the window that opens, leave the variables as shown (the default settings):
Destination - FTW
GEDCOM - Version 5.5
Character Set - ANSI
Indent Records should not be checked.
Abbreviate Tags should be checked.
- Click OK.
- Click on the OK button for the Export GEDCOM screen. Your file is ready to be submitted to the WorldConnect Project.
Exporting specific fact fields
(Versions 5.0 and later)
As noted above, fact fields are not notes and will not be cleaned by the WorldConnect clean living option.
Beginning with version 5.0 and later, all fields are automatically selected for export. You can still select which fact fields you want to display by using one of the following methods.
- You can create your GEDCOM file with all fields included. Use the advanced setup form when submitting your GEDCOM file to WorldConnect to excluded tags and notes you do not want displayed.
- Export by saving your file as version 4.0 before you create your GEDCOM file (click on FILE, then SAVE AS version 4.0).
If you create your GEDCOM from the 4.0 file, you will be given the option to select fields to export. Any fields you do not want to have shown on the Internet should be marked as don't export. Click on the OK button for the export fields screen.
WorldConnect SetUp/Edit Form | WorldConnect FAQS
WorldConnect Main Page | HelpDesk Main Page
Check the side panel for related links.
Still need help? Contact our HelpDesk.