CREATING GEDCOM FILES
USING FAMILY ORIGINS
Terms and Definitions
GEDCOM is an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunications. Within the WorldConnect Project, "GEDCOM" indicates an individual family tree or file. A more detailed explanation of what a GEDCOM is, and how it is used within the WorldConnect Project, is available here.
More Terms and Definitions
Submitting Your Family Tree
Standard Submission Form
Creating A GEDCOM file
These are the instructions for Family Origins, version 8. Please refer to the software instructions for other versions. Remember, this process will create a new file; it will not erase or replace your current file.
- Open the file you wish to convert.
- Choose GEDCOM from the File menu.
- Choose Export GEDCOM from the sub-menu (or choose the Export GEDCOM button on the toolbar).
- Indicate the path (where you want the file to be exported) and choose a file name for the new GEDCOM file. The .GED file extension will be added automatically.
- Click Save or OK.
- Choose whether you want to export the entire database or only a portion of it. To choose only a portion, you can mark or unmark any individual or segment of the file. You can also use the Edit Individual button, but we encourage you to use the WorldConnect Project's tools to edit your new file (leaving your old file intact).
- Choose the destination of the GEDCOM file. (You will want to choose General from the options.)
- Mark which of the following options you want to export: notes, sources, addresses, correspondence log, to-do items, or multimedia links.
- Check the box for whether you want to preserve word wrapping in your notes. Family Origins suggests you check this.
- Click OK. Your file is done and ready to export to World Connect!
WorldConnect SetUp/Edit Form | WorldConnect FAQS
WorldConnect Main Page | HelpDesk Main Page
Check the side panel for related links.
Still need help? Contact our HelpDesk.