I'm getting double banners. What do I do?
Generally, if you have two top banners, you've got two <body> tags....and if you've got two bottom banners, you've got two </body> tags....that's the first thing to look for.
Can I use Mail Merge on Freepages?
The MailMerge utility CGI program has now been installed on the Freepages server. Documentation on how to use MailMerge for processing your HTML forms can be found at http://Freepages.computers.rootsweb.com/~elsi/free-mailmerge.html
How Do I put my genealogy files on Freepages?
The first step is to export your data in GEDCOM format (File/Gedcom/Export). Now that you've got a GEDCOM file, there're a lot of things you can do:
- Upload your GEDCOM to the WorldConnect Project. WorldConnect will dynamically create Web pages out of your data, and your family ancestry will be searchable.
- Create webpages using GED2HTML or GEDPAGE or a similar program. You can find out about these programs on Cyndi's List (address shown below). Below are links to sample pages by Leigh Compton, if you want to see what these look like.
How do I add a counter to my page?
Start at this address:
- Choose a name for your counter..I use the page name, like birdsongindex. The name MUST NOT have spaces. Not Bird Song Index, but birdsongindex.
- The counter will start at zero, unless you change the number it should start on.
- Choose a password and write it down so you have it for the next time. You may, but don't have to, use your Freepages password. Enter the password twice.
- Click on the Create Counter button.
- In a few seconds, a paragraph like this will appear on a new screen:
Counter freecounter created starting at 0.
To use the counter, include the following in your html page:
- Copy the line with <img.....>, including the brackets, from the script on the page. DO NOT copy the script from this question/answer page.
- Insert the script (coding) into your HTML page, where you want the counter to appear. IF you are using Netscape's or FrontPage as your editor, scroll down to the next question.
The counter doesn't work. What should I do?
If you are using Netscape as your editor, it changes the script for the counter when you upload. FrontPage may also change it. You need to do this:
- Go to http://counter.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/changecounter.cgi
- Using the same counter name and password, get the script for your counter.
- Open your editor, choose INSERT/HTML (note: For FrontPage Go to INSERT/ADVANCED/HTML)
- Paste the script in the box that pops up. Save. That stops the editor from changing the script.
How do I change the counter to match what I had on my old pages?
Go here: http://counter.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/changecounter.cgi
Use the same name and password,
bring up the next screen, change the number.
Copy the code and paste it back in where you want the counter to appear.
How do I change the look of the counter?
This page will give you other options: http://counter.rootsweb.com/Counter.html#additional
What extensions can I use on my pages?
Freepages at RootsWeb supports html, htm, shtml and sht. Your first page should be named index.html (or .htm, .shtml, .sht).